Tuesday, January 20, 2015

There's a reason they call the Reef great!

"There's a reason they call the Reef great" is a quilt make for my sister, using a traditional "Storm at Sea" design, but in colours of the Great Barrier Reef.  It was made from a kit by Kate Flynn Nichols for Flynn Quilts, and is the first time I have used one of their laser cut kits, which certainly saved me a lot of cutting out!
I particularly enjoyed playing with fabric placement to bring out the secondary patterns.  The more you look the more you see!
As well as celebrating the beauty of the reef, the quilt was made as a small protest at the reef's destruction from multiple threats: dredging for the development of coal ports, run off fertilisers from agriculture, importation of pests (often dumped from passing cargo ships), and over-riding all of this, climate change!  I fear that the beauty and uniqueness of the reef will be lost forever!

No comments: